Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Children's costuming

I have a large file of photos of c. 1880's children to use as costuming ideas for reproduction dolls, and I just purchased this one of a gorgeous dress with an amazing amount of soutache trim. Very labor intensive, but the result was so worth the effort.



Here are a couple I bought as inspiration for my Fosnot boy's clothing. Susan had a cute little playsuit, but I wanted something in an earlier style. I found lots of great ideas, but these appealed to me because of their playful look. I haven't designed clothing from scratch before, so this will be a learning experience.

2 comments:

Dixie Redmond said...

Love those boys outfits! I'm a sucker for old photos.

Lisa said...

Hi Dixie. Thanks for stopping by. I know what you mean. Even as a child I would go to my grandmother's and spend hours in the parlor looking at all her old photos.