Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekend with Sue Spargo



I attended three days of classes with Sue Spargo last weekend, and it was wonderful to be surrounded by so much creativity! The classes were held at Smith Owen Sewing Center here in Grand Rapids. Sue comes every year in the fall, and the classes fill up fast. This year we worked on the Pomegranate Tablerunner for two days,




and then a needlecase sampler on Sunday.




I don't really care for orange, so I decided to do my Pomegranate's in pomegranate colors. For some reason it took me most of the first day to get it just right, but when I was done I loved it. The second day was spent stitching the pieces down, although I admit I have a hard time staying on task when there is so much going on.





I didn't get any embellishing done, but I bought some threads and things to add to my stash, so I have a lot to chose from when I get there.





Here is part of the shop Sue set up for our browsing pleasure. Most of us grazed there all weekend, adding to our piles each day.






I'm a convert to these sewing bags Sue sells on her website. They are so handy, and I love the snaps instead of a zipper. I need to pick up some more in the smaller sizes.




Here's a pic of me working away, taken by Judy from CJ Stitching and Blooms. She and Susan from Sukylady are in my Yahoo Woolstitchery group, and we all met for the first time at the class. Susan's daughter Fiona attended with her on Sunday.





Sue sells the kit for the tablerunner on her website if you want to try it for yourself.


You probably already know about Janet from Quiltsalott sharing her pattern for Susan McCord's Trailing Vine Quilt. I bought the fabrics for it, but I'm still deciding with poison green to use for the vines. Fabric choices are always the hardest part of quilting for me!



I have added a lot of close-ups of Sue's embellished samplers on my Flickr page. Just click on the widget on my sidebar to see them. Enjoy!

19 comments:

Beth said...

Lisa, what a great picture; you look so happy :-) And such beautiful, tactile projects you worked on. Sounds like a blissful weekend, my friend.

Beth

Jan said...

Looks like fun!

YankeeQuilter said...

I love how Sue mixes fabrics and uses such a variety of stitches! Taking a class with her is on my "someday" list!

Dorothy said...

I have been to 2 of Sue's workshops and they are so busy. There is so much going on I could just spend the day watching. I've got most of my fabric for the Trailing Vine pattern but like you can't decide on a green. I am not doing it with the pink.

Janet said...

OMG! Just gorgeous. You do look
very happy. How did you manage
NOT to buy it all?

Dawn said...

Looks like a great time!
Fabulous projects too. Thanks for sharing.

Janet said...

The workshop looks like a lot of fun, I love pomegranates in anything. You're very photogenic Lisa!
Hard choice on the vine fabrics, try folding on the bias to see how a skinny bit looks.

Donna Keating said...

I agree. Choosing fabric is the hardest part but it's also the most fun.

Quilt Station said...

You look like you're having fun (and who wouldn't with all that gorgeous stuff to play with)and i agree with Janet, you are very photogenic. Your Pomegranate looks great and ditto the needlecase, pure bliss to have three whole days of sewing.
Til soon
M

Sue said...

You certainly look like you have had a fun weekend and seeing all that lovely wool in - who wouldn't graze till he cows came home! Love the pomegranate runner.

Cheryl said...

I am so jealous. I have always wanted to take a class with Sue, but she is never in my area. Your colors are so perfect in your pomegranate. And you look great!

Heather said...

Sounds like a heavenly 3 days. I took 2 workshops with Sue in June, such fun. Love your color change on the Pomegarnate. Looks perfect!

Frances Leate said...

The workshop must have been a lot of fun and I love the happy photo of you and your colour choices for the pomegranate. I always agonise over fabric choices and change my mind many times - its what quilting is all about. Take care.

Sheila said...

Looks like a truly fun workshop. Love your projects. Nice photos in your posting.

Lori said...

I love your tablerunner! It looks like such a wonderful class!!

Mary said...

That must have been a really fun weekend! You look happy and not tired and that's always a good sign. The projects are fabulous!!!

Deb said...

Looks like a fabulous workshop. Your version of the pomegranates just gorgeous. I love your choices for Janet's vines. I think any of the greens will work.

Jane in Cumbria said...

It looks as if you had a wonderful time! I love the colours you chose for the pomegranate.
Jane

Unknown said...

oh you lucky girl!!