Monday, March 17, 2014

The Winner and TESAA

First things first, the winner of the book and pattern is Kimme!  Congratulations and I'll contact you about shipping info.

In case you aren't familiar with it, TESAA stands for The Elly Sienkiewicz Applique Academy.  This was my third year, and I can't imagine not going.  If you are interested in Baltimore Album Quilts, or applique in general, this is not to be missed.





 This year we had a first time teacher, Sandra Leichner.  I wasn't aware of her work, so I didn't take a class with her, but I will definitely change that in the future.  Her work is unbelievable.  The above pic is a close-up of her Traditional Still Life quilt that was displayed at one of our dinners.






 The pattern for this is no longer available.  If anyone has it or knows someone who does, and would be willing to part with it, please contact me.

Another wonder was her Lapis and Lemons.  Sorry about the bad picture of the whole thing.  I was too excited to focus.   :)








 One of her class projects was this Nuthatch block.  She gets the most amazing detail with thread and just a little colored pencil.




 I bought the kits for this and her Fall Needlecase, and I'm going to give it a whirl.  The Needlecase says it's "Fun and Done."  That's just because she hasn't met this sewing machine challenged gal.  ;)



Notice the reverse applique holes in the leaves and the woven mesh over them.  Amazing to me, but we'll see what I can do.

Sandra has a website here, and a blog here.  Notice the tabs at the top for tutorials.  She has some great posts about her technique.

Till next time ~

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Congrtaulations Kimme.

Sandra's work is stunning. I love the Lapis and Lemons piece.
Have lots of fun making the needlebook.



Heather said...

I have made one of Sandra's bird and flower blocks. I was so fun and amazing watching it come to life as each tiny detail was added. Her techniques are just amazing. Have fun!

Janet said...

What unbelievable work. Good luck with the needlecase. Can't wait to see yours.